Monday 24 April 2017

Four Things That Helped Me Manage My Chronic Fatigue

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is horrid, and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. Initially, it’s a whole host of confusion, wondering what’s wrong with you and why the doctors aren’t helping. Then, after numerous tests (months of tests, sometimes even years), the doctor eventually tells you that you have CFS.

The diagnosis is both a blessing and curse, a blessing, because you finally have answers, but a curse, because you have CFS and it takes a lot of effort to try to live a normal life. Over the years, I’ve learned to manage my CFS fairly well, and I wanted to share a few things with you.



Pacing

Yep, all doctors will recommend this and it’s true, it does work. It takes a long time to get right, though. And most people try to push themselves too far.

The key to successful pacing is stopping before you become tired! Don’t stop once tiredness sets in: stop before it sets in. Even if you only mange 10seconds a day to begin with, it’s an upward trajectory if you stop at the right time, i.e. before you become tired.

Supplements

Doctors tend not to recommend supplements, but I’ve found a few that work. These are Oxygen element max, magnesium, Co-Enzyme Q10, Iron, and folic acid.

The technique I use is to mix them up and not take them every day regularly. For example, on a Monday, I might take Oxygen element max, on a Tuesday some Iron, Wednesday Q10, and magnesium, Thursday magnesium again.

This intermittent consumption of supplements seems to work much better than taking the same supplement every day. I think when I take it every day, my body somehow gets used to them and doesn’t process them in a way that gives me energy.

Good Diet

A good diet has given me so much strength to deal with CFS. I make sure that I eat plenty of fruit, veg, starch, and meat. I avoid junk food where I can. Yes, junk food is lovely, but unfortunately, eating it tends to make me feel bad the next day.

Meditation and Self-Help Books

Finally, I realised that I needed my brain to function as rationally and calm as I could muster. I used to be stressed about the CFS, but with these exercises, I feel so much better. I personally recommend the Dr Claire Weekes books and the Headspace app. They’re both fantastic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment